Healthcare Navigator-Advocate: Consultant
We are specialists supporting patients and families who have serious and complex illness, injury, and end-of-life issues in navigating our complex healthcare system. We empower patients and their loved ones through education and coaching.
As Independent PP contractors:
- we work for the client only – we do not work for other organizations, the health authority, for doctors, or any other business
- we are navigators of our health care system; coaches, teachers, lecturers, collaborators, networkers, and have the ability and experience to be effective advocates for our clients
- we are working with our clients to empower them to move forward with their medical issues in a positive and collaborative way
- training with the team will be provided and ongoing
- your client base will grow slowly as you learn
- potential clients will come through marketing but you are expected to promote your services through public education and business networking.
Compensation: Paid on billable hours: to be discussed with short-listed candidates.
Start Date: ASAP!
Location: Patient Pathways is currently accepting resumes for candidates for all of BC, however, we need navigators immediately in Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Sea to Sky corridor
Are you a good fit? Here are a few essentials:
• You are looking for a new career where you can actually make a difference in patients’ lives;
• Your purpose and passion is to advocate for your patients when they are not getting optimal care;
• You love teaching.
• You are an excellent listener, are empathetic and assertive. You are good at conflict resolution.
• You have excellent English, both spoken and written. Fluency in a second language is not required but is a benefit.
• You have a fairly flexible schedule and are available a minimum of 10 to 20 hours per week.
• You’re highly self-motivated and have an entrepreneurial spirit: you work well by yourself but also as part of a team.
• You would love to be in a business where you are provided ongoing training, centralized marketing and administrative support.
• You believe in personal growth. You are always striving to learn more about yourself and those around you.
Minimum requirements for this position
- Strong medical background either in hospital, pre-hospital, or similar occupation with a minimum of 5 years healthcare experience in any of the following areas: RN in acute, residential care, community or home health; healthcare social worker in hospital or in the community in acute care, mental health, or addictions; Paramedic. (It is not necessary to be currently holding your professional registration)
- Understanding of medical benefits within BC
- Understanding of the multiple disciplines and areas of professional practitioners available in the public and private sectors
- Ability to write and keep confidential and accurate patient records
- Experience with medical records and medications management, including but not limited to the following:
o Intake forms, prescription descriptions, doctor to patient directions
o Medical history; ability to review, amalgamate and comprehend past and present medical records, assessments etc.
o Experience transcribing complex medical data into layman’s terms
o Appointment schedules (chart writing skills an asset)
o Comprehension of the discharge process and supportive planning
- Comprehension of intake processes within multiple arenas (hospitals, specialists, private clinics etc.)
- English: excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Conflict resolutions skills (professional courses preferred)
- Able to work independently and self motivated
- Able to work collaboratively with the PP team and other health care professionals
- Teaching and public speaking abilities and demonstrated experience
- Must have working knowledge of MS office suite (PowerPoint, excel, word)
- Must be comfortable with computers, video chat, email, social media
- Flexible availability with a minimum commitment of 10-20 hours per week
If you believe you are well suited to this role, please send your cover letter and resume to info~at~patientpathways.ca