We are specialists supporting patients and families who have serious and complex illness, injury, and end-of-life issues in navigating our complex healthcare system. We empower patients and their loved ones through education and coaching.
Healthcare Navigator-Advocate: Consultant
- Applicants must be self-motivated and have an entrepreneurial spirit.
- This is NOT a full-time paid position. Compensation is by billable-client hours.
- You must have flexible hours and be available to attend appointments at physician office and hospitals.
As Independent PP contractors:
- You are self-employed under the banner and support of Patient Pathways: you are your own boss and you are directly responsible for lead generation and local marketing.
- We work for the client only – we do not work for other organizations, the health authority, for doctors, or any other business
- We are navigators of our healthcare system; coaches, teachers, lecturers, collaborators, networkers, and have the ability and experience to be effective advocates for our clients
- We are working with our clients to empower them to move forward with their medical issues in a positive and collaborative way
- Training with the team will be provided and ongoing
- Your client base will grow slowly as you learn
- Potential clients will come through marketing but you are expected to promote your services through public education and business networking.
Paid on billable hours: to be discussed with short-listed candidates.
Patient Pathways is currently accepting resumes for candidates for all of BC, however, we need navigators immediately in Vancouver and West Vancouver, and the Sea to Sky corridor.
Are you a good fit? Here are a few essentials:
- You are looking for a new career where you can actually make a difference in patients’ lives
- Your purpose and passion is to advocate for your patients when they are not getting optimal care
- You love teaching
- You are an excellent listener, are empathetic and assertive. You are good at conflict resolution
- You have excellent English, both spoken and written. Fluency in a second language is not required but is a benefit
- You have a fairly flexible schedule and are available a minimum of 10 to 20 hours per week
- You’re highly self-motivated and have an entrepreneurial spirit: you work well by yourself but also as part of a team
- You would love to be in a business where you are provided ongoing training, centralized marketing and administrative support
- You believe in personal growth. You are always striving to learn more about yourself and those around you.
- Strong medical background either in hospital, pre-hospital, or similar occupation with a minimum of 5 years healthcare experience in any of the following areas: RN in acute, residential care, community or home health; healthcare social worker in hospital or in the community in acute care, mental health, or addictions; Paramedic. (It is not necessary to be currently holding your professional registration)
- Understanding of medical benefits within BC
- Understanding of the multiple disciplines and areas of professional practitioners available in the public and private sectors
- Ability to write and keep confidential and accurate patient records
- Experience with medical records and medications management, including but not limited to the following:
o Intake forms, prescription descriptions, doctor to patient directions
o Medical history; ability to review, amalgamate and comprehend past and present medical records, assessments etc.
o Experience transcribing complex medical data into layman’s terms
o Appointment schedules (chart writing skills an asset)
o Comprehension of the discharge process and supportive planning
- Comprehension of intake processes within multiple arenas (hospitals, specialists, private clinics etc.)
- English: excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Conflict resolutions skills (professional courses preferred)
- Able to work independently and self motivated
- Able to work collaboratively with the PP team and other health care professionals
- Teaching and public speaking abilities and demonstrated experience
- Must have working knowledge of MS office suite (PowerPoint, excel, word)
- Must be comfortable with computers, video chat, email, social media
- Flexible availability with a minimum commitment of 10-20 hours per week
If you believe you are well suited to this role, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com .
Those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in Patient Pathways!